Subject: Cesare Siepi
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Wed, 30 Jun 1999 23:48:07 EDT

I consider myself most fortunate that my first exposure to Wagner's Parsifal
in the opera house was with Cesare Siepi as Gurnemanz.  I am certain that my
initial liking for Parsifal was a direct response to the magnificent vocalism
of Siepi and the particularly beautiful quality of his voice and his seamless
legato phrasing.  Of course, having heard Christa Ludwig, Jon Vickers, Leonie
Rysanek, and Sandor Konya in the those early performances didn't hurt either.
 In that role, I think only Kurt Moll has come close to matching the  beauty
of Siepi's performances.  (Of the singers that I have heard as Gurnemanz).

Don Levine