Subject: SF Opera hits new low
From: Michael Yampol <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 Jun 1999 05:39:12 -0400

Well, Valhalla went up in flames Tuesday night.  I have to keep pinching
myself to make sure that I wasn't immolated along with it.

George Gray's Siegfried performance Saturday may have been "delightfully
rural", but Tuesday's performance of Goetterdaemmerung was more
like from another planet.  The concept of pitch is more something we might
hope he get his feet stuck in (i.e., tar and feathers) rather
than approximating the relative tones intended by the composer.
When Hagen stabbed Siegfried in the back, I felt like getting up and
cheering.  It meant that I wouldn't have to listen to him much anymore.
Almost makes me want to ask them to bring out Reiner Goldberg or William
Johns!  Makes Wolfgang Schmidt sound like one of the three tenors!

I have to say that I have never heard as many wrong notes played by
any professional orchestra as I have heard over the past few days
emanating from the pit in this hall.  Especially the brass.  Where did
they find these people?  Do they play for the Salvation Army at holiday
time, when there is a hiatus of opera performances?  (Sorry, didn't
mean to insult Salvation Army musicians.)  I guess I am spoiled because
I have heard this so many times from Jimmy Levine and the MET orchestra.
But, this is getting ridiculous!

I hope that the remainder of the "A"-cast cycle series later this week
will blot out the memory of Tuesday night from my ears.

Easily the poorest Wagner performance I have attended, hands (and thumbs)
down.

Michael  Y.
SFO  (barely...)
(donning flame-retardant kevlar-lined teflon-coated suit...)