Subject: Re: Bergonzi's Otello - but first ...
From: jjacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 29 Jun 1999 22:54:09 -0500

>Otello does not 'merely' have four or
>five solos to sing; he has a very demanding persona to project in a
>great deal of time on stage. If anything, concert performance makes
>that more difficult.

Dear Mike and List,

Why does a concert performance make that more difficult?  Is it because
there is no scenery and costumes to show settings and moods?  Or am I
thinking that a concert performance is easier because there are no
costumes and sets therefore one can concentrate on the text?  I have
always been interested in the difficulties of concert versus staged
performances.  I prefer a staged version myself because it is lively and
people actually act.  A concert version is more like a recording or radio
broadcast.  Best wishes to all.  Jim J.

Jim Jacobs
Stillwater, Minnesota
USA