Subject: Robber Barons? (was: Mega-Disaster)
From: Dennis Webb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 29 Jun 1999 21:57:59 -0400

Dr. Ennis's problems with Geocities may be small compared to what is to
come.  I came across an online article today, whose URL is below, relating
to Yahoo's recent purchase of Geocities.  According to this piece, Yahoo
has declared that *all* web content created by Geocities customers is now
*owned* in perpetuity by Yahoo.  By putting up the website materials,
Geocities customers grant Yahoo the right to sell, license, and otherwise
control this material, and relinquish their own exclusive rights to it.

I know there are quite a few people on this list who run websites, and
they should find out from their ISPs exactly what are the terms of their
contracts.  Yahoo claims that other ISPs have had this sort of clause in
their contacts for a long time now, whether the customer realizes it or
not.

Read for youself:
http://www.wired.com/news/news/technology/story/20472.html

>Well, thanks to everyone who tried to help - actually you (collectively)
>have been considerably more helpful than Geocities, who are supposed to be
>responsible for helping their "Homesteaders".
>However, the WebPages haven't been restored, and are now unlikely to be
>before September at the earliest, as I now don't have time - or quite
>frankly, the inclination! The WAGNER'S SOURCES pages have been partially
>restored, and can be seen at
>http://www.fortunecity.co.uk/southbank/pottery/31/ring1.html
>
>and I'll try to restore everything else before the Millenium!
>VIVA VERDI
>Dr. Jane Susanna ENNIS

Dennis Webb

MR/2 Internet Cruiser Edition running on OS/2 Warp