Subject: Re: "Magic"Potions in Opera
From: Ron Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 Jun 1999 09:04:19 +1000

At 18:22 29/06/1999 EDT, Jean McMullan wrote:

>There are a number of physicians on this list, and I am wondering if there is
>anything in the pharmacopoeia, ancient or modern, that would elicit love,
>forgetfulness, or recall.

Well, I'm not a physician, but speaking from personal experience,
alcoholic drinks in varying quantities do all of those things!  A moderate
amount has long been known to lower the inhibitions (generally leading
to the lowering of other things); too much definitely clouds the memory
the following day; and there are those for whom a great deal causes
descent into a hell populated with ghosts of the past.

Cheers,
Ron