Subject: Tucker Gala
From: Greg and Kathy Berg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 25 Dec 1998 16:59:54 -0500

Bergitas here.   Today, December 25th,  Ed Rosen
wrote:                                            After the gala, there
will be a 30 minute tribute to Tucker himself,
including many rare performance clips.

I have it on good authority that these will include a never before shown

(at least since it was originally on in 1957) clip of Tucker with a
radiant Renata Tebaldi singing the great final duet from Chenier.  I
have this on a video given to me by the Tucker family, but until now, it

has never been seen on TV.  The duet is done in the original key, and
watching it is thrilling beyond compare. >>>>

I don't know about any of the rest of you, but I've seen this duet
fairly recently on TV - perhaps on last year's Tucker Gala?   It is, of
course, in black and white and of kinescope-type quality,   but it
features some colossal singing from these two titans.  So Ed's
recommendation is certainly worth following,  even though it has already
been out there for some of us.

* * * * * * * * * *

Santa was very good to me, this year - especially by giving me the new
Turandot video.  I can't wait to get this out of the package and
experience it for myself after having read so many reviews of it (many
of them not so enthusiastic, I'm sorry to say).   Then it's Richard
Tucker Gala, Streetcar, and Cenerentola - happy days, indeed, for opera
fans!
It tops off a memorable year for me that included these top
performances:

1.  Renee Fleming's sublime Countess - as good as anyone I've ever
encountered, on disk or otherwise

2.  Bryn Terfel in concert at Ravinia - singing wonderfully in Mozart
and Wagner and proving to be worth every inch of his hype

3.  Tannhauser at the Vienna State Opera - it was an incredible
privilege to hear that magnificent orchestra and to see Cheryl Studer
secure such a triumph for herself

4.  Don Carlo at the Vienna State Opera - this was rougher, especially
on the ladies side (Andrea Gruber was booed at the curtain calls) but
Thomas Hampson was marvelous in every way,  as were James Morris and
Luis Lima

5.  Turandot - in concert at the Milwaukee Symphony -  Marshall Anderson
and I were sitting close enough to the stage to feel the singers'
sweat,  and Alessandra Marc and John Villars did not disappoint.  A
thrilling night

6.   Ariadne auf Naxos - Mr. Villars again, a superb Bacchus, opposite
the Ariadne of our age,  Deborah Voigt

7.  La Gioconda - My first in-person encounter with Jane Eaglen,  which
made me all the more excited for her Lyric Isolde next year

8.  Mourning Becomes Electra -  A rare treat to be able to see and hear
this fascinating Levy score, with Lauren Flanigan burning up the stage

9.  The American aria albums of Renee Fleming and Dawn Upshaw -  we've
waited years and years for even one album like this, and we got TWO!

10.   The Hvorostovsky Interview -  In some ways,  the most exciting
fifteen minutes of the year were when I got to do a phone interview with
Mr. H. - who turned out to be a friendly gentleman

And of course,  any list of 1998's operatic blessings needs to include
Opera-L.   It's hard to imagine life without it!

Happy Holidays, everyone!

Greg Berg  Racine, WI