Subject: Fwd: Callas and Gardel
From: Michael L <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 25 Dec 1998 11:40:32 PST

I found MF Lang's note to be very interesting. I'm a huge fan of tango
music, although frankly I'll take Piazzola over Gardel....

As for the Callas-Gardel connection, I am forwarding M.F. Lang's e-mail
to a friend who's quite knowledgable on opera in Latin America. I
personally think that

a) Callas voice had natural limits, i.e. she was not able, many times,
to produce high notes properly.

b) Callas ruined her voice because she abused her voice by trying to
sing too many roles in too many genres.  (Just like Alagna, Vaness, and
Larmore, to name a few, are currently ruining their voices today by
trying to do too many roles as well as trying to cross over to more
spinto/dramatic roles)

Anybody care to agree/or disagree with me re b)?