Subject: Re: Survey to go into 1999
From: Ramón Arroyo-Carrión <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 25 Dec 1998 06:37:20 PST

Dear James and Listers,

My sincerest wish for happy holidays and a wonderful year to all of you!

James Jorden asks:

What elements of the vocal art do you consider most important (or vital)
to a
>singer?  Which would you say are desirable but not absolutely
necessary? Which
>would you think of as an attractive luxury, and which would you say are
>unimportant or trivial?

I'd say that opera singers should possess a solid vocal technique and
dramatic instinct that permits them to give full expression to whatever
they are singing at the moment.  I prefer for them to be in full control
of breath emission so as to achieve the best intonation possible.  This
and every other technique-related element are welcomed, but uppermost
for me is the singer's ability to act through his/her voice and convince
us, no matter whatever limitations he/she may have in the histrionic
department.  Vocal technique at the service of expression doesn't always
guarantee the most perfect sound, but I can accept these imperfect
moments if the end product is honest and passionate.  This "acting
through the voice" tends to give singers the unquestionable vocal
personality that permits many of us to promptly identify them right
after hearing a few notes.

Ramón Arroyo-Carrión
San Juan, Puerto Rico