Subject: Bjoerling;Vargas (was Re: Singers I don't get - plus a resolution)
From: Per Backstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 25 Dec 1998 09:50:39 +0100

Joseph Manley wrote:
> He is, in my opinion, both one of the greatest Italian tenors (may > most Italian tenors even begin to have his Italianate sound) and one > of the greatest French tenors.  Many of his interpretations of the > song repertoire are simply haunting--his Godard Beceuse, his 1930's > recording of Adelaide, many many more.

There probably is no such thing as a Swedish tenor, but if there is
Jussi was outstanding. Some of his Swedish songs have been mentioned but
I miss my favourite: Svarta Rosor (Sibelius). What always gives me
goosebumps is the word agg, where Jussi really used the hard consonant
for a stunning effect. Another song I love as sung by Jussi is Jag
laengtar dig.

But I agree with Joseph about Adelaide, lovely. I had it first on LP,
together with some very fine Strauss songs.

I really must listen to his Romeo again soon!

------------------

Someone recently praised Vargas. As a Christmas present for my 11 year
old nephew I bought the Naxos Barbiere di Siviglia, justifiably praised
by many. The reason for this gift was that we had seen B. on Royal
Swedish Opera recently. We played about half of it, amid other doings.
Especially Vargas is a great joy to listen to. This must be one of the
best recordings of Lindoro!

God fortsaettning, as we say in Sweden. What would be in English? Good
carrying on?

Per Backstrom
Stockholm,Sweden
http://home2.swipnet.se/~w-23055/perineng.html