Subject: La Traviata - Muzio
From: Greg and Kathy Berg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 20 Dec 1998 12:27:21 -0500

Bergitas here.   I want to second the sentiments of Todd Calvin, who
felt as though he had been introduced to Claudio Muzio for the first
time during Terrence McNally's intermission feature.   I had certainly
heard the voice before and was well acquainted with her career,  but I
felt like I was listening to the voice for the very first time - due
partly to the interesting things McNally chose to play,  and also in the
beautifully crafted commentary which he supplied.  My only beef is that
I found myself tantalized in the WORST sense of the word when he talked
about the famous Tosca broadcast from SFO (our one and only chance to
hear Muzio live in performance) and then failed to play any of it for
us.   I wanted to do the radio equivalent of throwing a lamp at the TV
screen.  Can anybody tell me the best way to hear this performance?   Or
is it even in print, right now?

As for the Traviata,  I certainly agree with all of you who found
Chernov to be a bit lacking for Papa Germont - and who found Carlo "off
to the races" Rizzi to be less than helpful on the podium.   But I found
myself quite taken with Racette and Alvarez and look forward to hearing
more from them.   Racette reminds me a lot of Sills in basic sound and
style - but also in the hint of flatness that creeps into the middle
voice.  I hope this isn't an indication that she's pushing her voice in
unnatural directions.   But I found much of her singing to be heartfelt
and lovely.  What a promising singer she is!   As for Alvarez,  I think
he's already surpassed the term "promising" and is already here.  It's a
beautiful voice and he shares it generously and confidently.    May
there be many more broadcasts with this marvelous singer. . . and may
his first Radames be a long, long, long way off!!!

Greg Berg  Racine, WI