Subject: Re: "Getting" Bjoerling
From: Ramón Arroyo-Carrión <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 24 Dec 1998 14:24:06 PST

Dear Bob and Listers,

I suppose quite a few of us didn't have the opportunity to see and hear
Björling live in recital or opera, an experience I would very much envy
to all Listers who did.  For me, Jussi Björling turns to be an aural
experience of the very best kind.  Although not knowing by far his full
recorded legacy, I consider some of his interpretations as "standards"
in the sense that I return frequently to them as sources of deep and
constant pleasure.  I'm not in the least ashamed when sometimes I use
the Björling sound to establish comparisons with other outstanding
tenors singing similar repertoire, for I believe I am then employing the
very best tool of comparison.  I am grateful when I "discover" an
interpretation on par or even surpassing the Swedish tenor.

Being myself one of the millions drawn by his voice, here are two of my
"standard" Björling moments:  1) the third-act ending of "Manon Lescaut"
(RCA complete opera), sung with white-hot passion galore;  2) the
"Nessun dorma" in the RCA complete "Turandot",  a moving lesson in vocal
beauty that reveals an intimate moment of the prince-hero.  As long as
I'm willing to keep good additional company with the likes of Gigli, di
Stefano, Wunderlich, Gedda, the early Carreras, Domingo, and, yes,
Pavarotti, I am also willing to assert that Björling indeed rules!

Ramón Arroyo-Carrión
San Juan, Puerto Rico

[...]