Subject: 1998 BIRGIT: Lars-Erik Jonsson; Vargas
From: Per Backstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 28 Dec 1998 18:50:33 +0100

The Swedish Opera magazine MusikDramatik each year give a Birgit to a
Swedish singer who has done something great during the last year.
MusikDramatik gives it's readers four suggestions and we are welcome to
send in a vote on one, or even suggest a new name.

This year the winner is tenor Lars-Erik Jonsson, who has sung Peter
Grimes, in Gothenburg, Helsinki and Berlin (Staatsoper). I posted about
the wonderful production in Gothenburg, and of course I voted for
Lars-Erik, and am now very happ that enough subscribers had the same
opinion as I.

-------------

So I can't be so far out concerning tenors. After someone asking what
was the hoopla about Ramon Vargas I played most of his recital on
Claves, 5 Rossini and 5 Donizetti arias, and I do find his a beautiful,
florid voice. Though it is still possible that he was not very good as
Werther, which is something else than Rossini and Donizetti. Werther is
a French role, and don't nead a very flexible voice, as I understand it.
But especially in Rossini vargas IS great.
--
Per Backstrom
Stockholm,Sweden