Subject: Re: "Getting" Bjoerling
From: Ellen L Lienhard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 22 Dec 1998 11:47:12 EST

In a message dated 98-12-22 06:49:33 EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< If you haven't already, try to hear some of his
 fabulous studio recordings from the 1930s and 1940s, including such items as
 "O Paradiso" (1937), Salut! demeure (1939), "Cujus animam" and the
"Ingemisco"
 (1938),  "Au mont Ida" (1938), "Nessun dorma" (1944) and "Ah, lÍve-toi soleil
 (1945).  Then, there are such broadcasts as the 1947 Met Romeo with Sayao,
and
 a late 30s concert of opera arias.
 If you've heard these recordings, and still don't like Bjoerling, then I'm
 willing to accept that your lack of enthusiasm for his voice is a case of "to
 each his own."  But, I think there are several of us who would like to see
you
 become a Bjoerling convert!
 Best,
 Ken Meltzer >>

Hi all - as one of those whose "missionary fervor" where Jussi Bjoerling is
concerned has often led to spirited discussions with a good friend who prefers
Corelli whenever they sang the same music, I must chime in on this thread.

The above suggestions are great; I would only add that one must hear Jussi
singing his Swedish repertory.  Not Swedish translations of standard arias,
these are really for hard-core fans only.  Try Kung Heimer och Aslog,
Tornerna, Til Havs, En Svan or Jag Elska Dei (sp?) both by Grieg (Norwegian)
or anything included in the 4 cd set Jussi Bjorling Edition on EMI.  His
rendition of the Berceuse from Jocelyn by Goddard, sung in English for unknown
reasons, is simply stunning.  Ditto Song of India by Rimsky-Korsakov.

I could go on and on, obviously, but will close with the seasonal suggestion:
Try his O Helga Natt, even in Swedish this is vocalism to melt the most
resistant.

Happy listening and please let us know if any converts result...

Regards and Happy Holidays
Ellen Lienhard
Malvern, PA