Subject: Re: The good old times: they are *now*
From: Richard & Linda Nechamkin & Borman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 27 Dec 1998 20:50:29 -0500

To answer this list of present day baritones, the thread has to do with
dramatic Verdi baritones i.e. MacNeil or Merrill.  IMO the closest we
have today is Chernov who has a well placed voice, but is not quite big
enough for the barns which pass for opera houses.

>         Not if you don't count these singers whom I happen
>         to fancy, more or less in this order (and from the
>         top of my head, making obvious and painful omissions galore) --
>
>         Bryn Terfel
Not a Verdi baritone
>         Thomas Quasthoff
Not a Verdi baritone
>         Anthony Michaels-Moore
Not a Verdi baritone
>         Gerald Finley
Not a Verdi baritone
>         Bernd Weikl
Not a Verdi baritone
>         Dmitri Hvorostovsky
Not a Verdi baritone
>         Thomas Hampson
Not a Verdi baritone
?
?
>         Gabriele Schnaut
NOT!!!!! A BARITONE!!!!! Probably the best Wagnerian Soprano around
today.
>         Sherrill Milnes (yep, still)
You've *got* to be kidding. WOOF! to paraphrase the aria from CANDIDE,
"Sing flat and have a career".

Richard Nechamkin