Subject: Re: questions
From: "William A. Fregosi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 22 Dec 1998 10:29:47 -0500

At 7:44 AM -0500 12/22/98, David Bresch wrote:
> There were a lot of recordings that will be on my Christmas list, and I would
>like to get the list's input.
>
>Pique Dame (Nelepp, Lisitsian: Arlecchino slipcase edition w/ excerpts
>with other artists)
>May Night (Lemeshev, Nebolsin: Dante Lys)

David and List--

I am a collector of Russian operas on vinyl (or whatever it was Melodiya
used--the surfaces are positively lunar in some instances), CD, tape in
various formats, whatever.  Both these sets are very good and I can
recommend them to you highly.

The PIQUE DAME is pretty well cast up and down the line and it is one of
Nelepp's finest assumptions.  Lisitsian is usually self recommending and
that is true here most emphatically.  What if anything Arlecchino may have
done with the original sound I have no idea.  Melodiya sets could be harsh
and treble heavy or tubby and sound as if recorded in a fairly dead, small
studio.  To me it doesn't REALLY matter--what is important is the
sperformance and this one really sizzles.

MAY NIGHT is a lovely score and Lemeshev a consummate stylist.  Even quite
late in a long career, his essential qualities remained intact.  I happen
to have the later recording with Constantin Lisovsky, another very fine
Russian tenor, but can assure you that there will be no disappointment with
the opera or with Lemeshev.

Bill fregosi

William Fregosi
Technical Coordinator for Theater Arts          Ph: (617) 253-0862
Massachusetts Institute of Technology        FAX:  (617) 258-7149
Building E33   77 Massachusetts Avenue     E-Mail: [log in to unmask] (office)
Cambridge, MA  02139                                  [log in to unmask]
(home)

       I live through risk.  Without risk, there is no art. You should always
       be on the edge of a cliff about to fall down and break your neck.

Carlos Fuentes