Subject: Baroque Bartoli
From: Jack Etsweiler - Systems Triage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 22 Dec 1998 08:57:54 -0500

Per Backstrom of Stockholm, Sweden, opined:

>Marc asks about Bartoli. I remember having read that
>she intends to do mostly early music, baroque and
>such. I was not much taken by her either at a recital
>here or by her video from Vicenza, but the Vivaldi
>piece with incredible coloratura impressed me a lot.

>And in Il turco in Italia she is very good.

We saw her again here in Ann Arbor earlier this year
or last - so much going on here that it's hard to
keep track!  Bartoli was trying out her Vivaldi and
several other pieces of the period.  She was very
animated, particularly in the Vivaldi - her entire
body was engaged, and the effects were pure pyrotechnics!

The combination of the perfect room (there is a story
about the first time she came to Ann Arbor and how
she tested the acoustics of Hill Auditorium with the
help of Ken Fischer, much-loved Director of the
University Musical Society) and an appreciative
and informed audience (of somewhere in the 3000+ range)
provided the catalyst for a memorable afternoon.

I hope that she expands on her Baroque and earlier
repertoire - it suits her perfectly.

Jack Etsweiler - Technical Services - Systems  Triage
Learning Technologies  -  G01q Bruce T. Halle Library
Eastern Michigan University   -   Ypsilanti, MI 48197
(734) 487-0020 x2033            [log in to unmask]