Subject: Re: Confusion RE: Bartoli's Susana
From: DAN KESSLER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 31 Oct 1998 23:16:08 -0500

I would like to add the following:
Cecilia Bartoli's voice may not possess that non-stop legato that we have
come to expect from an ideal Susanna.  Having said that, the voice is still
extraordinarily beautiful and is so idiosyncratic that I would spot it in a
minute with a blindfold on.
Surely, Dwayne Croft's Count is still capable of improvement and in the
end, with Bryn Terfel, Renee Fleming and Susanne Mentzer under Maestro
Levine's baton, this cast shows every possibility of becoming the Met Kobbe
Book of Opera FIGARO for some time to come, in my opinion.

On the Glyndebourne touring RODELINDA, Helen complained that the acts in
Handel's operas do not lead up to an explosive conclusion but apparently
that was not required or expected in Handel's day.  In each act, the 'peak'
seems to be in the middle and then a slow descending until the conclusion
of the act.

Dan Kessler