Subject: Re: Mozart's Popularity
From: Ed Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 31 Oct 1998 21:46:28 -0500

Hi-

I believe I am "guilty" of starting this Mozart discussion, but I think
some very interesting posts have come from it.

I said I found the Figaro performance boring, and that seemed to start a
barrage of posts on the subject.

Most seem to think I'm just out of my mind to think that Mozart is
boring, and one post said that there is no way I can prefer even
Giordano to Mozart.  Well- of course there is a way, because I do!!

I'm not suggesting that Giordano, or Verdi or Puccini, for that matter,
were superior composers to Mozart, though in some ways they may have
been.  I am only saying, not suggesting, that I prefer say, Otello, or
even a great Chenier, to any performance I have ever seen of a Mozart
opera.

Some have written that Mozart is more cerebral.  Maybe so.  But I do not
go to the opera to have my brain excercised.  I go for the visceral
excitement that opera can give us, and I find none, or almost none, in
Mozart.  The music is extremely beautiful, but so are Handel and Hayden,
and I can't really stomach their operas, either.

So call me "un-cerebral" if you will.  I'll take the blood and guts
approach any day, thank you.

Question my opinion, if you must, but not my honesty.

Best,
Ed
Ed Rosen<[log in to unmask]> for free catalog
Legato Classics, Inc.
http://www.legatoclassics.com