Subject: Re: Confusion RE: Bartoli's Susana
From: Peggy Houdek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 31 Oct 1998 21:39:07 -0500

Hi all! Dick and I were there on opening night and I've been reading with
great interest all the posts on the performance and trying to figure out
what I would add.  First of all, we were anticipating a really grand
performance with perfect casting.  We didn't quite get that!  Truly for us,
the weak link was Bartoli.  I've always enjoyed her, but her Susanna just
didn't work. Oh, it wasn't terrible -- I've seen much worse.  But she
played it more like she did Despina, even to adding the "funny" voices that
one hears for the Notary and the Doctor in Cosi. Her lower range, of
course, is strong, but the higher notes were really missing the free
floatingness that one likes to hear, especially in Deh Vieni.  As for the
rest of the cast, I think they were right on -- especially Fleming, who
sounded gorgeous.  Croft is a special favorite and I thought he sang
beautifully and acted the part in an interesting way.  Terfel is a jewel,
the perfect Figaro.  Mentzer was also a good Cherubino -- but it's hard to
block out the memories of von Stade.  I thougth Act I was perfect and I
really believed all the characters and the sometimes long act flew by.  Act
II was also fun, but combining Acts II & IV seemed to us to be a mistake.
It DID seem long and we missed the pine trees! Seeing as how it was a big
splurge at huge ticket prices, it should have been more wonderful.  Still,
for us, it's always nice to go to the Met.  peggy from lenox