Subject: Re: Universally Admired
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 31 Oct 1998 16:08:43 -0500

> Ray in SF asks:
>
> << This got me to thinking....dangerous indeed!  Is there a perfect singer
> that
>  is universally admired.  I couldn't come up with any singer in my experience
>  about whom I haven't heard or read some negative criticism.  Then this AM I
>  read in M. Barclay post the name of Wunderlich as someone we all love.  I do
>  not recall ever reading anything negative about him as a singer. >>
> nd report back to us when the thread has faded.

Read Celia's comments, as I can only second her opinions and her analysis of
"what might have been".  But, even in opera, he was a very metronomic singer
without too much imagination or real sense of line or words.  The voice was
magnificent but that does not the compleat singer make in my opinion.

To tell y'all the truth I don't think that there is ANY singer who has ever been
unanimously loved.  It's in the nature of things that there are always going to
be some who will look for things quite different from that which any one singer
has to offer.  Witness Hal's three nominations, Bjorling, Ponselle and Caruso.
Top of the line, but I have very strong reservations about the first two names.
And, I know several people who find Caruso's appeal to be rather a mystery.  Yup,
it's true!  I guess that outside of Michael Scott, I have never really heard
anyone who doesn't get Muzio's basic message, but I bet there are some.  The
super techies probably find a lot to dismiss.  And the beat goes on.

Cheers!

Bobolinl