Subject: Re: Mignon
From: tom kabaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 31 Oct 1998 12:28:54 -0600

Larry says he'd love to see a good revival of Mignon. So would I, but please,
not a note complete one. A couple of years ago I sat down and listend to my
Horne, Welting, etc. recording. There are some gems in that score, but there
is also an awful lot of note twiddling. I like following opera I don't know
well with a score. This isn't to pick our errors, it just helps me "get
acquainted" with a work. It was interesting that this score came with
notations about all sorts of traditional cuts. After listening to the
complete score, I can understand why those cuts were there.

So yes, let's bring this score back. But there are reasons for some of these
traditions.

To tie it in with the Figaro thread, I'd prefer cutting the Marcellina and
Bartolo arias in Act IV. Dramatically, that last act *is* weak, and a
shortening of the Parade of Arias by cutting two rather weak arias (IMHO, of
course), can help tighten things up a bit.

regards,
tom