Subject: Re: Nozze
From: Margaret Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 31 Oct 1998 11:09:54 -0800

Beth R. Hart wrote in regard to Mozart's Le Nozze di Figaro:

>   Is it intellectual
> versus purely emotional involvement?

Mozart is my favorite opera composer, and Le Nozze is my favorite Mozart
opera.  And I think Mozart's best compositions are in the medium of
opera.  I don't think of my love of his operas as "intellectual"  versus
"emotional".  For me, what makes Mozart my favorite is that his music
works the best for me of any opera composer in a purely musical sense.
His opera music speaks to me, even if I don't know what the words mean,
who the characters are, how the plot is turning.  Mozart has ALL the
emotions of the opera, plot, characters, in the music; thus his music
speaks to my emotions without the NEED for words.  In a way, he has a
direct connection with my psyche.

With Mozart at the height of his compositional powers, working with
master librettist DaPonte, creating the best "real people" anyone ever
has in opera, the experience of his operas is so all-consuming that it
takes me completely "out of myself", and they have control of my being.
Adding to Mozart and DaPonte's art great singing and acting, beautiful
sets, gorgeous costumes - well - it's heaven on earth.

Only bad conducting can wreck this opera for me, otherwise, I look
forward to it anytime, anywhere, as frequently as I can find it.

Peggy

--
Peggy Harrison, Alexandria, VA
mailto:[log in to unmask]