Subject: Re: A question about Vickers and a quick word on Farrell...
From: Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 31 Oct 1998 14:58:05 -0000

----------
: From: [log in to unmask]
: To: [log in to unmask]
: Date: 31 October 1998 13:50
:
: On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Karl Joseph Ufert wrote:
:
: > 1.)  With all the wonderful conversation about Jon Vickers because of
his
: > birthday (I ABSOLUTELY LOVE HIM--he was one of the true vocal and stage
: > individuals in opera!), it causes me to ask a question:  I had read
: > somewhere that Vickers was knighted.  Does anyone know if it is true
that
: > this great tenor is Sir Jon Vickers?
:
:
:No. Jon Vickers has NOT been knighted. How do I know?

        1) He was at the Barbican last Sunday (Oct 25) to attend a showing of his
'Otello' film (Karajan,Freni,Glossop etc and to receive the 1998 medal of
Amici di Verdi , all of which was preceded by an hour-long interview. At no
time was he called 'Sir Jon' nor was he congratulated on having been
knighted.

        2) On every occasion of a new list of awards, I check to see who in the
Arts world has received recognition, and thers no way I would have missed
such an announcement. I frst saw JV in 1957 in Ballo at Covent Garden and
he has been in my top ten ever since.

No-take it from me, knighted he's not.

Regards to all

Brian Morris (London)