Subject: Authentick Balderdash!
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Fri, 30 Oct 1998 22:16:25 -0800

I, too, like my Mozart in whatever is currently believed to be the
Authentick Style. That, of course, means that it shall be live, so I
will not again listen to a recording, a broadcast or watch a video. And
since Busch, Beecham and their singers were so benighted as to know less
of the Great Truth than a musicologist today, I shall eschew those
travesties even if the musicians return to perform them for me in the
flesh. I would eschew Tauber, Pinza, Kipnis, Gruemmer, Schwarzkopf and
their peers in Mozart however they pleaded with me to audition them.

Like H--- I would!

There are many ways to perform any great work. Some are clearly invalid.
Some are pure, some are not. Some give insight, some preserve a museum
piece. We think that modern vocal production - especially the big sound
with vibrato - postdates Mozart's singers. Is that reason to preclude
Horne's traversals of Handel and Vivaldi?

No one is required to listen to any one style of performance. I loved
Goberman's conducting when the recordings were just coming out.
(Remember when they had to bind the Robbins Landon scores with the Haydn
symphonies so that the listener would know what the music was?) But
anyone who tries to take my Casals version of the Brandenburgs will have
a major fight on his hands. I will even admit to finding the Stokowski
Four Seasons worth hearing.

I offer you a deal: I won't make you listen to the Bruno Walter ''Don
Giovanni'' and you won't take it away from me. Since I expect to be
clatching those LP's when they send my remains away, that offer means I
won't 'inflict' it on you and you need not murder me.

Deal?

Mike

http://mrichter.simplenet.com
CD-R http://resource.simplenet.com