Subject: Nell Rankin
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Fri, 30 Oct 1998 18:22:20 -0400

Hi James and Listers!

                     So delighted that you brought up the name of Nell
Rankin whom I heard very often at the Met in the fifties. I always found
her adequate and sometimes much more than that. And then came the season
that the Met did two groups of Lohengrin. The first cast was fine and then
the company brought it back a month or two later with the second cast and
Rankin was Ortrud. She was simply the greatest I've ever seen. How she
dominated the stage in the second act and stood full of imperial fury at
the curtain! It was fabulous, and most of the audience thought so, too.
People stood and shouted and just carried on until the intermission was
almost over.

        Isn't it exciting when a well-known artist rises to greatness
without warning. A Bucky Dent homer, if you will.

        Regards,

        Larry McGinn
        Fayetteville NY