Subject: Re: More Eileen Farrell, sort of but mostly Sinatra V-Discs
From: Dan Hladik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 30 Oct 1998 12:34:25 -0500

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> [log in to unmask], Maryanne, writes:
> > Many years ago, I heard some records, LP's, that Farrell made for
> >  the Army, during the second World War.  She sang *everything* on these
> > records, an even broader selection than in the movie.

> Maybe she did some of the V-Discs.  Her radio shows were in the
> mid-40s, weren't they?

Farrell did record at least one V-Disc, not at hand, unfortunately.  The
b-side was Jan Peerce singing "O Little Town of Bethlehem"; the Farrell
side was "Hark the Herald Angels Sing".  Maybe.

16" acetates of her radio shows exist.  The vocal selections show up as
separate bands, so commercials and announcements could be customized for
local stations.  (That, of course, is the reason these acetates exist).

I have also seen home-recorded acetates of "Dove sono" and "Il va venir"
(La Juive).  Regrettably, these were recorded on two sides of the same
disc, so music is missing at the point the disc was turned over.  The
Mozart was obviously very new to her, since she is clearly heard singing
"Dove sono i b*i*ei momenti" [What, *both* of them??  :) ]

regards,

Dan Hladik