Subject: UCLA Recital
From: Alicia Ko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 28 Oct 1998 23:13:23 PST

Hi!

I introduced myself about a month ago and haven't written since because
things have been so hectic since I moved to UCLA.
Anyway, I attended a recital given by soprano Juliana Gondek at
Shoenberg Hall. Gondek is an assitant professor of applied voice and
opera studies at UCLA. I thoroughly enjoyed her performance. She really
has an exquisite voice. I got to hear some music I've never heard
before. The only familiar pieces were from Purcell's "Dido and Aeneas"
("Ah Belinda, I am prest" and "Thy hand, Belinda!...When I am laid in
earth.") which we studied in my history of opera class last week.
(Midterm next week!)
I'm starting my first college research paper for opera. It's quite
exciting. I'm going to do a character study of Marcellina from "The
Marriage of Figaro." Some things I'm going to cover are the duet between
her and Susannah in Act 1, a comparison between how she's portrayed in
the Beaumarchais play and in Mozart's opera, the revelation that she's
Figaro's mother, her transformation, and her aria in the last act which
is frequently omitted. If you'd like to contribute any ideas or
suggestions I'll certainly welcome them and appreciate it.
I'm enjoying my opera class but the only drawback is that I'll never
listen to an opera the same way again. I'm always applying what I
learned whenever I listen. I can never just sit back and enjoy the
music. I have to pick it apart! Oh well.

Alicia
UCLA
AOL IM: Cousinly