Subject: Re: Ariadne - Aikin & Villars /LAURA AIKEN
From: Craig Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 29 Oct 1998 07:43:07 +0100

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Robert Sage <[log in to unmask]>
An: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Datum: Donnerstag, 29. Oktober 1998 03:05
Betreff: Ariadne - Aikin & Villars

>In regard to recent postings concerning the Chicago "Ariadne", I can say
>that it does not surprise me that Laura Aikin had success as Zerbinetta.

About 2 years ago I saw the above mentioned lady in TANCREDI, a production
of the ZUERICH opera given in Winterthur. I still can't quite believe what I
heard. This lady is very gifted. Her voice is suberb and, from where I was
sitting she looked beautiful. Her many duets with the title role (sung by
the wonderful Gloria Schalchi(sp?)) took me back to several Golden Ages.
I've never heard two voices singing Rossini LIVE on stage like this. End of
rave. Question: Why does she not have a major recording contract?
Best to all,
Craig