Subject: Re: Met Nozze prima- boring!!!
From: Andrew Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 30 Oct 1998 10:40:01 GMT0BST

Ed Rosen writes:

> I've been going to the opera regularly for almost 40 years, and
> this was only the 3rd time I've ever seen Nozze di Figaro.  It's
> too damn long, there's much too much recitative, and it's
> ultimately boring, IMO.

Chacun a son gout, of course, though I find it difficult to imagine
how anyone can prefer Giordano to Mozart (and I reserve the right to
dislike ROSENKAVALIER and PARSIFAL myself),  but to complain about
the amount of recitative is to miss the point that FIGARO is about
dramatic situations and interplay of character, and much of this is
carried by those very recitatives.  And for the recitatives and the
drama and the interplay in a comedy to mean something, the opera has
to be given in a language which the audience can understand.  So why
not ditch Ms Bartoli, add another Susanna to the otherwise
Anglophone cast and do the whole thing in English?  I'm sure Terfel,
for one, would like the idea (OK, it's a bore to relearn in another
language, but at least it's your own language), and maybe Ed would
enjoy it more.

Ed continues:

> I found that I couldn't wait to leave, after sitting through the
> final two acts done together.  What a long sit!

Sure, if you're bored.  But what I want to know is:  were Basilio's
and Marcellina's arias performed?

Andrew Cooper ([log in to unmask])