Subject: Tales from Tina T.
From: "Valentin B. Suan Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 29 Oct 1998 21:01:46 -0600

Nope,this is not an offshoot from Offenbach's opera.  My therapist tells
me to write something cheerful on the list after a string of forgetable
operatic performances...Anyways, here's what I gathered from the
grapevine:

>From the Houston Chronicle's PREVIEW supplement, La Grande Dame of
Operatic Gossip, writer/columnist Manuela Hoelterhoff is coming to the
Bayou City on Monday, Nov. 2,1998, 7pm at the Brazos Bookstore, 2421
Bissonet (tel # 713-523-0701) and will talk about her book, "Cinderella
and Co.: Backstage at the Opera with Cecilia Bartoli".  Im sure she'd be
delighted to autograph your copy.  Is this a book tour or something?
I've noticed the book is getting a lot of publicity from major
newspapers, Time and Newsweek magazines and of course, here on the
list.  IS SHE COMING TO YOUR NECK OF THE WOODS???

I have read the new bio on James Levine, "Dialogues and Discoveries"
written by ex-Chicago Sun Times music critic, Robert C. Marsh. Doing it
like talk show format, it delves on Mr. Levine's past, present and
future engagements.  Not much personal info on the workaholic
conductor.  Also, the author seems to be so preoccupied with opera
laserdiscs. I kinda like them but hopefully with the new DVD technology
already here , I do hope more titles are going to come out.  The author
tells of a future release of the Met's 1996 COSI FAN TUTTE with Vaness,
Bartoli, Allen, Hadley,etc. I hope that's not false alarm since I loved
that particular production.

Also, I found a picture (from the book, THE STORY OF OPERA) of my
favorite Kathy Battle with Thomas Allen in a performance of an obscure
Haydn opera, La... something (sorry, I forgot the title)...I wonder if
somebody here can enlighten me on that.

Tina T. (Val is still doing electro-convulsive treatment)
Houston