Subject: CECILIA BARTOLI LIVE IN ITALY
From: Jose Ramirez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 29 Oct 1998 13:00:24 -0500

From:Jose Daniel Ramirez
E mail [log in to unmask]

First of all Hello to all of you opera lovers of the world. I am happy tol
be able to post messages on the board. I am a cultural journalist
from Bogota and barroque singer currently leaving in Novara near
Milan and I have leaved and studied in Boston,London and Budapest,
with various teachers. Sylvia Sass and Ryland Davies among others.
I am now in Italy with Roberto Gini and  Christina Miatello.

I am glad the cd of Cecilia Bartoli"live in Italy" has come out. I
had the oportunity to be present at both of the concerts that are now
the material for the present cd. as a journalist I had the chance to
be present at a press conference, her birthday celebration and also
had various conversations with the producer of all of her albums for
decca Christopher Reaburn.

This concerts and the present recording constitute a testimony of fine
singing and fine artistry.In Italy Bartoli is overlooked by many and to
prove the pointlet me tell you how difficult it was to get tickets to
the concerts
not because they where sold out but because no one new anything about
them. Finally after several phone calls I learned that the tickets where
sold at a travel agency and on the day of the concerts there where still
several seats unsold. It took Decca management a great amount of trouble
to fill all the empty seats.
A Bartoli concert anywhere else in the world sells in a matter of days.

As for the concert, it included some familiar repertoire like the italian
songs by Schubert and Mozart, the songs of Pauline Viardot and some Rossini
and Mozart, all of these items accompanied by Jean-Yves Thibaudet.
What made this concert really memorable where the barroque pieces that
she performed with the autstanding ensamble "suonatori della gioiosa marca".

Here she showed her understanding of the relationship between words and
music, someting very important for any barroque singer out there because
that is the way to bring barroque music out and make it most interesting.
The voice was clear and bright with the inteligent choice of high keys
which show the best of the voice. Altough she at the press conference did
not admit her preference for the soprano repertoire, it became obvious
during the performances. Perhaps she protects herslef from the Italian
audience calling herself a mezzo-soprano otherwise she will be considered
no god because she does not scream her way through Lucia de Lamermour.

I stronlgy recomend this album.

FROM:Jose Daniel Ramirez
E mail: orfeo.monteverdi@usa ne