Subject: Lee Hoiby "Summer and Smoke"
From: Tom Groves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:59:20 -0400

Seeing Lea's post on Erie Mills' program reminded me of Hoiby's "Summer and
Smoke" .  It was my first opera, and I sang Archie Kramer, the travelling
salesman.  To paraphrase Spencer Tracy, "There isn't alot of meat on it,
but what there is, is choice" (the part, not the opera).  I love this work,
but haven't heard much about it lately.  Does anyone out there know if it's
on any company's scedule in the near future, or if there is a recording?
Many thanks,
Tom