Subject: GORCHAKOVA - mezzo o sopran?
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Sun, 25 Oct 1998 16:47:14 EST

Dear List,

I'm not a big fan (not a fan at all) of Galina Gorchakova.   However, she
appears on several recordings that I have.    Obviously, I bought them for
other reasons.   I heard her a few times last year when the KIROV was
visiting.  She has a full voice,  it has a few pleasant colors but I do not
find her to be a soprano sound.    WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?   My recent purchase
is the DON CARLO.   I resisted buying it (since I have all the others) but
wanted to have Hvorostovsky and, of course,  the wonder Boradina.   There she
is (Galina).    Many times, her voice is darker than the mezzo's.    Does
anyone else have an opinion about her?

Thanks for your time,

James Lamb
Staten Island, NY