Subject: Re: "Robert le Diable"
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 23 Oct 1998 10:25:18 -0400

Jack Hall wrote:

> The other recording I cataloged is Meyerbeer's Robert le diable, live from
> Paris, July 2, 1985. It is issued on "Legato", from Lyric Distribution
> Service. The three main singers are June Anderson, Alain Vanzo, and Samuel
> Ramey. It also includes a couple of tenor numbers sung by Chris Merritt
> in New York in 1988--apparently added by Meyerbeer later to be sung by
> Mario (Cher and Madonna didn't pioneer having one name, after all!)
> Meyerbeer is not my fach, so I'm not planning to listen to it, but I'll bet
> there are some aficionados out there who would love to hear it.
Jack -

I'm with you; I never met a Meyerbeer opera that I could stick with to
the end, including "Les Huguenots".  That Piff Paff thing is as far as I
get, and as soon as I hear the first three notes of that thing  it's
immediately to "Raoul/Valentine" then over and out.  But, "Robert" has
some exquisite things including one of the loveliest of soprano arias,
"Robert, somethin' or other", you know me and languages by now :-) It is
a ravishing piece of music and everyone should at least listen to it.
There is a far better performance of the opera, at least on LP, put out
by BJR or MRF?  It is from Florence in the mid sixties and it features
Renata Scotto in her very best shape, oh what line she has in that
music, and Boris Christoff.  If I say Merighi is the tenor, it's
probably wrong, but someone like that.  I think it's one of Scotto's
grandest performances.  Her ability to phrase, to sing those unearthly
pianos, and when necessary put real pressure on the voice is a lesson in
real legato, the likes of which we simply don't hear anymore.  And
Christoff is as good as it gets, too.  A very wonderful performance, at
least by those two.  An excellent candidate for transfer to CD, if it
hasn't already happened.

Cheers!

Bobolink

Interestingly