Subject: bel canto recordings
From: Michael Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 28 Oct 1998 10:52:46 -0700

text/enriched (85 lines)

        <bigger>Dear Listers,                                   28 October 1998

        I am in the process of redoing my Buying Guide to Bel Canto for the

        first time in many years.  To my horror almost all my recommended

        LP recordings are no longer in the catalogs in any form that I can

        discern.

        The Buying Guide is arranged in the following ways:  First record-

        ings of complete operas by bel cantists from Monteverdi though

        Handel and Rameau.  Then the romantic melodramme of Rossini,

        Donizetti, Bellini, Meyerbeer and certain Verdi through LUISA MILLER.

        Then certain operas with major bel canto roles, e.g. LULU, CANDIDE,

        ARIADNE, etc.

        Then recitals by major artists of the florid school (post WWII) and

        finally a list of names of important earlier singers from Patti and

        Lehmann to Tetrazzini and now there is a whole world of

        new artists (especially counter tenors like Minter and Daniels

        and singers like Lorraine Hunt) who hadn't recorded when this

        buying guide was last revised.

        I'd like your help with recommendations in all these categories

        especially Handel's operas, and operas by Jomelli, Traettta,

        Monteverdi, Cavalli, Rameau and then the recital work of such new

        artists as Minter, Hunt, Daniels, Podles, Bartoli (also any complete

        operas with her  you'd truly recommend), Larmore, Dessay, Gruberova,

        etc.

        Any and all suggestions will be considered-Please send full info,

        i.e. artists, conductor, ensemble, label and catalog #.  Thanks in

        advance for any and all help on this time consuming project.

        Having studied bel canto for three decades any sets which get

        several recommendations will be purchased and reviewed at

        my web site: www.operalover.net.  Thanks a million!

        Warmly,

        Michael Barclay, D.Lett.

</bigger>
Michael Barclay, D.Lett.   [log in to unmask]

Opera Education International/OEI, Berkeley, CA  www.operalover.net

Please visit our website soon.