Subject: Divine Divas/Performances
From: Sarah N Schallern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 27 Oct 1998 12:32:15 -0600

Just wanted to share some great experiences I've had in the past couple of
days.  First of all, we opened our production of Street Scene this past
Friday, and who do I see when I'm making my entrance but Catherine
Malfitano.  She had done a master class with us a few weeks earlier and
actually gave up a Friday night to come see some dumb college production.
She and her husband were totally engaged in the work and added so much to
the stage energy.  She is such a wonderful person!  She said such honest
and supportive things to us after the show.  It was a great experience!

My second experience was last night when I saw Mourning at the Lyric.  If
you are near Chicago CALL THE LYRIC NOW AND GET TICKETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It
was an incredible performance.  I think it is very well written (you
hardly notice the music, it's so supportive of the drama), and the
performances by all involved were wonderful.  I was particularly impressed
with Orin, Christine and Lavinia, esp. Orin.  They were totally immersed
in the experience and there were very few moments of "now I'm singing so I
have to concentrate on that."  Their voices flowed out the emotions that I
honestly believed they were feeling, and they allowed their beautiful
instruments to take on a whole range of colors.  This was a totally
engaging night at the opera. I felt like I was living these people's lives
(thank god I wasn't!  :D).  I highly recommend it!

Sarah

Somebody done run off with their brains!
        ~Mike Lloyd