Subject: Surprising Zerbinettas
From: "William A. Fregosi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 26 Oct 1998 18:23:53 -0500

I can well believe Elizabeth Harwood would knock you out as Zerbinetta.
Although nowhere near as high, her Titania in MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM
exhibits
glorious tone on some fearless ascents into the upper register.

While not wishing to establish a thread on
sopranos-you-never-thought-could- but-did, I would like to put in a strong
word in favor of Hilde Guden's performance on the Gala label performance in
the company of Lisa della Casa and Rudolph Shock.  The year was 1954 and
she is fresh and full voiced, sexy, insinuating, full of fun and mischief.
It is really a great turn through the part.  I don't think she kept the
role in her repertory long but she did also take on Aminta in DIE SWEIGSAME
FRAU (also recorded live and available on CD)
so she was no stranger to the high wire act at that time in her career.
(Jim Devlin: this "Divine Hilde" post is dedicated to you.)

Bill Fregosi

William Fregosi
Technical Coordinator for Theater Arts       Ph: (617) 253-0862
Massachusetts Institute of Technology        FAX:(617) 258-7149
Building E33   77 Massachusetts Avenue       E-Mail:[log in to unmask] (office)
Cambridge, MA  02139                                [log in to unmask] (home)

    I live through risk.  Without risk, there is no art. You should always
    be on the edge of a cliff about to fall down and break your neck.

                                                     Carlos Fuentes