Subject: Fuehrer or Schuetzer?
From: jjacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 26 Oct 1998 16:44:09 -0500

Hello to the List!

The reissue of RCA's Lohengrin with Konya confuses me with the ending.
The printed text says "zum Fuehrer sei er euch ernannt" when Lohengrin
announces the return of Gottfried.  Konya clearly sings "Schuetzer".  The
libretto from the 1965 set says "Schuetzer".

I have checked several recordings and only 1953 Bayreuth (the only
Bayreuth Lohengrin I have) uses Schuetzer.  I can understand why they
especially would not want to say Fuehrer, but aren't they also devoted to
Wagner?

So what's the deal?  Was Fuehrer regularly used until the Nazis gave it a
very bad reputation?  I think the Met uses Fuehrer.

Best.  Jim J.

Jim Jacobs
Stillwater, Minnesota
USA