Subject: "Farewell" for Now
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Mon, 26 Oct 1998 12:40:11 EST

Dear Opera-L'ers,
I am going to be signing off Opera-L for a while. I have found that I am
spending much too much time at this computer logged on and reading the ton of
mail that keeps coming in from Opera-L. It's fascinating - irritating -
marvelous - depressing - and time consuming. Opera-L has been like an open box
of candy - tempting and delicious, but something I will have to avoid for a
while for some very practical reasons.
I've been neglecting my own work while I sit here fascinated by the various
views of the opera world that get collected here. Time that should have been
spent on the NordicTrack or vocalizing has been spent here wondering why
certain Listers so intensely dislike particular singers/directors/conductors.
Or reading some of the "humorous" postings that I really and readily admit
that I "don't get".
I have culled much valuable information from fellow Listers, and for this I
give a huge "Thank You!" to all the Real Gems out there in Opera-L Land.
I have made re-contact (and hope to maintain contact!) with old friends from
"the profession" - as well as making new friends on line.
While I am "signing off" from the Forum for a while, this doesn't mean that I
am becoming a Trappist Hermit. If there are any technical questions that I
might be able to answer, please feel free to send me a private E-Mail at
I know that I am going to be going through "Opera-L Withdrawal" for some time
in the near future.
So.....to all the wonderful "lurkers", the various "factions", splinter
groups, Guys with Pseudonyms Galore ( "Emma"/Albert was not alone in
MultiplePersonalitySyndrome here at Opera-L, if my reading skills are still
operative), Millo Pole'rs, ETC. I'll bid a fond "au revior" - "I'll be back"
to use the Schwarzennegger "soundbyte" - but not for a while - there's a book
to finish, some roles to be learned, and a voice to be re-heated.
Be good, stay healthy and happy, and don't be TOO naughty - and if you are,
send me a picture!
Yours in Seattle,
Paul Gudas - aka "[log in to unmask]"