Subject: Fwd: Re: Verdi Biography 2
From: Dave Leverton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 26 Oct 1998 15:04:18 +0200

Thanks all and Bob - ( I trust it's ok to post your reply for the benefit
of those who don't know this work).

We have absolute concensus for once:-)  - every reply has confirmed that
this is the one to get.

With reference to Bob's comment, I have Charles Osborne's Complete Operas
of Verdi - a critical guide.
Would this be a suitable companion to the Phillips-Matz, in relation
specifically to an analysis of the works?

>Subject: Re: Verdi Biography
>
>Generally the latest biography by Mary Jane Phillips-Matz is considered the
>definitive one, although she doesn't discuss the music itself.  (That is,
>she discusses the circumstances and context of creation, but not analysis of
>the works.)
>
>With best wishes,
>Bob Kosovsky

Dave Leverton