Subject: Re: Break A Leg!
From: michael burt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 27 Oct 1998 14:34:06 +0200

> -----Original Message-----from  Jean McMullan
> Sent: Tuesday, 27. October 1998 14:36

> Good luck wishes for opera singers have to be
> international as these people
> travel all over the world.
> "Hals und Beinbruch" seems to be the equivalent in German.

Literally, the equivalent sometime English "break a leg"
(throat and leg?)

> "Toi, toi, toi" is another one; can anyone tell
> me where it's used or its
> orgin?  Is it pronounced "toy" or "twa"?
It's "toy, toy, toy", to emulate spitting, and is done over
the receiver's left shoulder.
As far as I know, it is the more usual German
pre-performance rite.
There are other rules. It is done as close to the show as
possible,
the triple-spit should only be done once [per person] or an
ODD number of times.
Two people can "spucken' each other at the same time.

michael burt