Subject: Terfel as Leporello in Abbado's "Don Giovanni"
From: Camillo Pan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 18 Aug 1998 21:07:02 -0400

Dear Listers,

With an attitude of "this is Terfel then this must be great", I bought the
new recording of Abbado's "Don Giovanni" with Keenlyside as the title
role and Terfel as Leporello immediately. But frankly speaking, I got a
little confused at first listening. It seems to me that this charismatic
Welsh singer becomes more and more mannered. As usual he employs an
extremely wide dynamic range and almost dramatizes every phrase. The
catalogue aria is the most sinister one I've ever heard and his "Ah..."
in the final scene sounds like it is he, not Don Giovanni, that is going
to the hell. Meanwhile I have to admit that his singing is truely
enjoyable. You will always be surprised and never get bored, including
his whistle to the three maschere.

I havn't listened to the recording very carefully so I cannot comment on
other supporting roles, yes, with Terfel all other roles become
"supporting", even the Don Giovanni. They seem good except that Heilmann's
"O mio tesoro" is barely adequate.

There are some photos of the Ferrara production. The big, burly and bearded
guy is really very attractive on stage. I do hope this production has been
taped and will be released someday.

Cheers

Camillo Pan