Subject: Re: The Seattle Tristan and Honest Questions
From: Warner Peticolas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 17 Aug 1998 22:17:03 +48000

On Sat, 8 Aug 1998 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Given this degree of financial investment and all the future contingencies
> riding on the success of the production, could the Seattle Tristan have turned
> out to be anything other than a resounding triumph?  To what extent can a
> performance be objectively judged when so many non-artistic factors are
> pressing for a positive outcome?  Is an opera lover who has laid out scads of
> money for a hotel room, tickets, plane fare, etc., in a position to make a
> truly unbiased determination about the merits of a production?

But there were rumours. Some people said that Jane Eaglen's voice was in
tatters. Ben's voice was too lyric and he was ruining it in such a helden
role. All the previous performances of T and I that my wife and I have
seen consisted in four principles standing like statutes and trying to be
heard over the big Wagnerian orchestra for 4.5 hours. Absolutely nothing
moved. These considerations kept my wife and many friends from going.
There were other reasons. My wife stood to lose her job if she went and my
friends in San Francisco were sure that the SF opera production of T and I
this fall would be better than Seattle's. So I know a dozen Wagner buffs
who didn't go because they felt it wouldn't be worth the time, effort and
expense when there was so much uncertainty. At one point after reading of
"problems" that Jane Eaglen had I tried to sell my T&I tickets. Happily I
didn't succeed and I went to the 7th and 10th of August performances. So
I was suprised that it was so wonderful and I hope that all ten
performances will sell out. Warner Peticolas