Subject: Re: Seattle TRISTAN, Monday 10 August
From: Dale Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 17 Aug 1998 09:15:41 -0700

> Overture:  As in the Seattle RING, I found Armin Jordan a brisk-ish,
> polite and rather lightweight conductor.  That worked OK in 1995,
        Sorry, Jordan was SCHEDULED to be the RING conductor in 1995 but
could not make it.  He did conduct the 1994 Walkurie, however.
> forces pushing their way in, of Kurwenal's misunderstanding of who he
> was fighting.  Having him commit suicide was preposterous.
        Have to disagree.  It seemed that Kurwenal had absorbed, not
intellectually but by a kind of osmosis born of their intimacy, the sense
that the only way he could continue his relationship with Tristan was to
join him in death.  Nothing in the music or rather vague stage directions
contradicts this behavior.

> Andrew Cooper ([log in to unmask])
> UK operatic pages:  http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~lib6arc/

Rod Parke in Seattle