Subject: Re: Opera-L Birthday Parties.
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Fri, 21 Aug 1998 17:35:27 EDT

Listers and Friends,

I would be delighted to join in a party next year, and it is really rather
immaterial to me where it actually is.

However, the timing..........?   Oh, dear - August is bang in the middle of
all the major European opera/music festivals, with the circuit involving
Glyndebourne, Edinburgh, Salzburg and Bayreuth as well as countless others.
What a choice to be presented with!  Charlie, Ed and others versus Salzburg
-or Bayreuth!

However, in principle - YES, provided that the actual day or two is planned
with great care and involves a spreadsheet of European opera schedules and
casts!

But then why not be really original?  Alan Savada can charter a 747 or three,
sort out opera tickets and bring the American list to Europe, very cheaply it
goes without saying!  After all,  we are quite nice people over here really,
even if we speak strange languages or have funny accents, eat peculiar food,
are not too good with air conditioning, drive cars too fast, and have odd
ideas about what makes a good opera production!  And armed with all the
excellent recent advice about auditions perhaps our American colleagues with a
voice can get work over here too, making it an a profitable working
holiday/convention?!   Charlie for Melitone in the Verona Arena?

Regards     NICOLAS  PALMER  London