Subject: Castrati
From: Rick Teller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 21 Aug 1998 15:33:44 -0400

text/enriched (41 lines)

No silly jokes, please.  (I resisted the temptation to use the subject
"Music minus two" -- which isn't original anyway).

There is an interesting and readable scholarly article on the castrato
phenomenon in the 20 June 1998 issue of the British medical journal "The
Lancet."  The article summary is reproduced below:

Lancet 1998; 351: 1877-80 (20 June 1998)

40 Hampstead Way, London NW11 7JL, UK (Prof J S Jenkins MD)

   Effect of testicular secretion on laryngeal development

   Effect of castration on the male voice

   Physical appearance of the castrati

   The rise of the castrati

   The making of a castrato