Subject: Re: a speculative trip to the past
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Fri, 21 Aug 1998 11:36:07 EDT

In a message dated 8/21/98 2:43:14 PM, TGOBBI wrote:

<<if you could go back in time to
see/hear two singers, one female and one male, who were already gone (dead or
retired) by the time you began your love affair with opera, who would it be?>>

Adolphe Nourrit and Giuditta Pasta
Nourrit, the principal tenor at the Opera in Paris, from 1826-37, was, by
consensus, one of the greatest singing-actors of his day.  I would love to
hear him in one of the many roles he created (to pick one would be rather
difficult-would it be Count Ory, Arnold, Eleazar, Robert le Diable or Raoul?)
and to see and hear first-hand his fabled artistry.  Also, I would welcome the
opportunity to hear Nourrit's technique in the upper register-how much of a
mixture of head resonance did he use on those high notes?  And if I could lurk
a bit more at the Opera, I'd like to hear the sound of his rival Duprez's
"from the chest" high notes.
Giuditta Pasta was also, by all accounts, the consummate singing-actress.  How
did she negotiate such diverse roles as Amina and Norma?  Was it a Callas-like
instrument?  Was she as riveting a stage presence as contemporary reports
suggest?
Ken Meltzer