Subject: Re: Query about 18c Italian soprano (fwd)
From: "Harris S. Saunders, Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 21 Aug 1998 09:26:11 -0500

Lisa Berglund friend Donald Desserud asks the following question:

>Does anyone know who 'la Turcotta' was? She was an opera singer that
>Montesquieu says he heard while in Florence in 1728. He puts her in the
>same category as the more famous Faustina.
>
>So far no reference book, (including the Grove), nor any works on Italian
>opera that I have been able to consult, have provided me with any clues.

I haven't come across this form of the name, but this is probably
Maria Giustina Turcotti (b. Florence, c. 1700- d. after 1763).  There is
a brief entry about her by Dennis Libby and Carlo Vitali in
The New Grove Dictionary of Opera.  You can find the details of
her performance history in Florence in Weaver, Robert L. and Norma.
A Chronology of Music in the Florentine Theatre: 1590-1750
(Detroit: Information Coordinators, 1978.) [see p. 371] and
WIlliam C. Holmes, Opera Observed: Views of a Florentine
Impresario in the Early Eighteenth Century
(Chicago: University of Chigao Press, 1993).

Hope this helps.

--Harris Saunders