Subject: Re: Pearlfishers Duet- Domingo & Milnes
From: Fiorella Beckmeier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 21 Aug 1998 08:56:20 +0100

Ed Rosen wrote:

"There has been an ongoing thread on RMO about the Domingo-Milnes duet
album.  It started with an inquiry as to whether it's available on CD.

"This album really turned me off to both Domingo and Milnes.  Not so much
their singing, though I have never been a fan of either, but by the
comments that are attributed to them on the liner notes for the LP.

"They say, and I paraphrase, " In all modesty, after listening to a
playback, we think our version of the Pearlfishers duet surpasses that
of even our most illustrious predecesors."

"What chutzpah, IMO."

What Ed fails to mention is that what he is *paraphrasing* is actually
someone else~Rs paraphrase.
The *quote* is itself quoted from an article by Thomas Heinitz in Records
and Recordings, and
goes as following: ~SWhen tenor and baritone, after listening to the final
playback, modestly
decided that their performance of the Pearl Fishers duet surpassed the
attempts of even their most
illustrious predecessors, I didn't really feel inclined to question their
judgment~T.  My immediate
impression in reading it was that whatever was *actually said* was spoken in
the spirit of playful
boasting between two singers (and very good friends at that) who felt they
had done a good job
together - every singer is entitled to think that.  The author used the
exchange to support his own
positive view of the recording.  Of course, those who WANT to interpret it
negatively, WILL.

A good day to all,

Fiorella