Subject: Puccini seminar
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Thu, 20 Aug 1998 23:50:38 -0400

Hello listers,

Well, it's finally going to happen...on Monday evening I will be beginning a
special honors seminar at UF entitled "Puccini & His Tragic Women".

This will bascially be an exposure class to Puccini and opera in general (for
primarily science types:  pre-vets, pre-meds, haz-mats, various health
sciences, etc.).  And the major portion of the class will be watching videos of
ALL TWELVE of Puccini's operas. (Thanks to Charlie Handelman I even have videos
of VILLI -- a beautiful production by a Japanese company with subtitles in
Japanese -- and EDGAR -- a pretty rough pirate, but still a video).

We will also be attending the first Sunday matinee performance of TURANDOT
performed by Michigan Opera Theatre in October (too bad their BUTTERFLY will
not be done until the spring).

The first couple of weeks I will present opera in general and the beginning of
Puccini's life, as well as some of his music that has appeared in various media
outside the opera-house:  such as Pav's "Nessun dorma" for the World Cup, the
Butterfly exerpts in "Fatal Atraction", the wonderful carpet commercial with
"Un bel di", etc.  I know this is scary, but I'm going to also play some
Michael Bolton!!!  I also am planning to play some of the FANS album by Malcom
McLaren (if you have never heard this recording, you don't know what you are
missing...it might change your life!).

Today's query for the opera-l experts is....would you please forward to me as
many examples of Puccini's music in movies, television, commercials, plagarized
excerpts (Sir ALW, etc.), and other items of interest that you may know.  All
posts are welcome privately.....I really want to swamp these students with how
much Puccini they have already heard or experienced.

Thank you in advance for all of your help!!!!!

Happy listening to you all,

Micheal F. Anders, Ph.D.
Professor of Music
The University of Findlay